Monday, December 6, 2010

See You on the Darkside



So after a long hard day of running around, going to classes, and doing lots of work, I figured it was time to kick back and listen to some music. Being in the ultimate chill mode I decided to put my Skullcandy headphones on and listen to Pink Floyd's epic album Dark Side of the Moon.



www.myguitarsolo.com

In case you were unaware Pink Floyd were the go-to guys for crazy, mind expanding music. They formed in the mid sixties and have always been at the forefront of progressive music.





good-old-things.blogspot.com

In my humble opinion, Dark Side is their best work. Without being too pretentious and artsy, it works as one coherent thought. Songs fade out and blend into each other; making it seem like one long strange trip. The album starts out with a simple heart beat, and then builds. It adds sounds upon sounds until it finally crescendos to the opening anthem "Breathe". This song sets the mood for the rest of the album; ambient, kinda spacey, and grooving on interesting chord progressions. From that point on the album flows seamlessly together. Floyd demonstrates an impressive amount of studio knowledge. The album is full of manipulated sounds and crazy sound tracks. Heres a bit of the first section of the album so you can see what I mean.



One of the most interesting things about listening to Pink Floyd is that I'm hearing it in a way no one else ever has before. When the album was initially released it was a vinyl recording. Since then the album has passed through the technological shift and been converted to a digital CD format. I then load that cd onto my itunes and convert it to an MP3 format for my Ipod. Now i can expand my mind with some Pink Floyd pretty much everywhere I go. Isn't technology great?











1 comment:

  1. Excellent PF throw down, James.

    One of the most influential bands of our time.

    Comfortably numb,

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete